Astronomics supply problems

Mwalter

Astronomics supply problems

Post by Mwalter » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:12 am

I ordered an eyepiece back in June from Astronomics, and it was on backorder until November when I eventually canceled the order. When I emailed and called a couple of times, they said they were having supply issues from their manufacturer in China and promised it would arrive soon. Alas, it never came. They offered no apology for the delays and seemed annoyed that I was even asking about the order. Also, they have only issued a store credit, not a full refund to my credit card.

When you look at products on the Astronomics website, many are still not available. It will say "More on the way!" next to the product. I think they are having serious supply problems and not informing customers how bad these problems are. If you are contemplating buying anything from Astronomics soon, I recommend calling first and verifying that they still have the item. You might consider using another business altogether.

Matt

Bsimon

Re: Astronomics supply problems

Post by Bsimon » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:21 am

Astronomics has been my go-to astronomy products dealer for years. They are close and supportive. Astronomics is also the owner of CloudyNights which is the astronomy forum board of choice.

Many dealers have been in short supply of many items this year. New hobbyists have turned to the hobby of astronomy during the pandemic and the supply line has been disrupted at times. The website usually states what is in stock and what is not. If out of stock the website typically says that. Sometimes with "more on the way" inserted, but in these times with the supply issue that can be a problem.

I typically never just place an order on line without talking to someone, I call and I will verify that something is in stock and ready to ship. If not I will consider alternatives that Astronomics may have or I will go to another supplier.

They remain my #1 dealer, although I have and will purchase from others such as ExploreScientific directly and AgenaOptics and a few others.

Barry Simon

Lmccormick

Re: Astronomics supply problems

Post by Lmccormick » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:21 pm

This article might shed some light on the supply problem.
https://chicagoboyz.net/archives/64596.html

Lowell