The bug has bitten myself and 2 friends recently to go on an astronomy outing for a weekend. I have arranged with Carol at White Horse Christian Retreat Camp for us to go there April 5, departing on April 7. Map and driving directions available on their website <http://www.campwhitehorse.com/index.html> . This is the new moon weekend so hopefully we will have clear weather and get in some good observing. As no other group is using the facility that weekend, THERE IS ROOM FOR OTHERS TO JOIN US. Note that while we are going to the same facility, this outing is not associated with the DSSG. Accommodations are more limited than at the DSSG events.
* We will be staying in one or more of the bunk houses. Bring your own linens, sleeping bag, pillows, etc.. Bunks are stacked 3 tall. The plan is to only put 1 person per set of bunks, but depending on numbers this may change.
* We have access to the bath rooms and showers. Bring your own towels and toiletries.
* NO MEALS OR SNACKS WILL BE PROVIDED so bring your own snack foods and drinks. I believe there is a microwave in the lobby that we can use, but I have to verify this.
* For meals there is the Country Diner back on MS Hwy 35, just about 150 yards north of where Hurricane Creek Road intersects Hwy 35. Their food is served cafeteria style and is very good. They are open from 6 am to 4 pm Monday through Saturday and closed on Sunday.
* I will bring a Keurig coffee pot and some regular and decaf Community coffee pods. This will be setup in the lobby for all to use.
* I recommend everyone bring sufficient bottled water for their use. For other drinks, I will ask if there is a refrigerator we can use. NOTE: this is a Christian Camp so no alcoholic beverages.
* I have not inquired about tent or RV camping for this weekend. If this is something you are interested in, let me know and I'll inquire about availability and costs.
* Note there is electricity available for the observing field but one or more long (50-75') extension cords may be needed to reach your observing site. Be sure to bring your own cord, outlet box, etc if you need electricity on the field. Using batteries to power equipment on the field is suggested, where practical.
* This is an informal gathering but we are serious about observing and some will be imaging, so please abide by customary star party rules regarding light sources on the field (flashlights, camera screens, computer screens, etc..), vehicle lights, music, etc..
COST IS $35/NIGHT/PERSON. As is common with such star party gatherings, I need to pay up front for the facility and advise how many persons are planning to attend. Please email me at TCSMANN@COX.NET if you have any questions and/or if you plan to join us one or both days. If you plan to attend please mail NO LATER THAN MARCH 15 a check for the costs ($35/person/night) to;
206 Santa Cruz Ct.
Luling, LA 70070
Note it is customary that fees paid to the facility are not refundable in the event of bad weather or your inability to attend. I will negotiate for refunds with the management in such cases, but consider it UNLIKELY THAT REFUNDS WILL BE OFFERED.
1 post • Page 1 of 1