The Len Philpot Interstellar Star Gaze

Bsimon

The Len Philpot Interstellar Star Gaze

Post by Bsimon » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:32 am

Let's call this upcoming weekend at White Horse the (Len) Philpot Interstellar Star Gaze. After all it was Len's idea to do a DSSG Trial Run this year as we have an extra long weekend due to Labor Day and the coming weekend happens to be "New Moon" Weekend as well.

I have to admit that I was somewhat pessimistic about doing something at White Horse this upcoming weekend as we are still in summer and summer has been pretty brutal with little to no opportunities to view the night sky. However looking at the forecast for the weekend ahead it is looking like Friday August 30th thru Sunday September 1st should be nice. For White Horse the temperature is projected to fall to 64 overnight with a high in the upper 80's during the day. It will gradually rise by Sunday evening but the low is still projected to be 70 degrees with daytime temperatures remaining in the upper 80's to very low 90's. Len, how did you know this?

As of now, we have 10 people signed up for the coming weekend. There is no need to pay in advance for this event, however if you think you can make it for any day or night, please let me know so I can communicate our needs with Carol at White Horse. Bunks rent for $35.00 per night. We plan on doing meals off site and/or bring your own M.R.E.'s. I think we can also get Carol to do a snack bar in the evening for things like burgers, hot dogs, fries, etc.

Once again the great news is the weather forecast. It is looking good and it is about time! This event will be a great tune up for the Deep South Star Gaze (October 22nd to October 27th) where if we have our typical attendance that will be somewhere between 80 and 100 attendees.

Some of us that are going to White Horse on Friday plan on getting to the Country Diner on Hwy 35 for 11 am before we drive the final 4 miles to White Horse.

Any questions? Please let me know.

Barry Simon
Attachments
DJI_0282 copy.jpg

Bsimon

Re: The Len Philpot Interstellar Star Gaze

Post by Bsimon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:55 pm

Stay tuned. The ever changing weather forecast is now indicating that our best weather night this week will be Thursday - not Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Thursday evening is looking good. Friday evening may still be good, but not as good as Thursday.

Accordingly I will be calling Carol at White Horse to see if there would be a problem with anyone coming to White Horse on Thursday if they would want too. I know that if it is ok, I will be headed up Thursday afternoon with a plan to stay at least until Saturday (but not Sunday) as by Saturday the weather appears to deteriorate again.

Will keep everyone posted.

Barry