Outreach Events- Wild Things- Help needed

Bjohnson

Outreach Events- Wild Things- Help needed

Post by Bjohnson » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:16 am

As we discussed at the meeting last night, we have several outreach opportunities coming up in October and November.
Saturday October 12- Wild Things Festival- Lacombe LA - They have requested we participate by doing Solar viewing at the event. If you can provide a solar scope and wish to participate, let me know at Paspres@astronola.org.

Wild Things helps people of all ages to connect with the wild things and places that make Louisiana special. The 22nd Annual Wild Things Celebration will be held Saturday, October 12, 2019 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Bayou Lacombe Center, the headquarters for the eight National Wildlife Refuges in Southeast Louisiana.
Map Link:
https://www.louisiananorthshore.com/eve ... ings/1842/
Bill Johnson
PAS President, 2018-2019

Jbest

Re: Outreach Events- Wild Things- Help needed

Post by Jbest » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:59 pm

My Grandson & I are planning to support this event. It’s not very far from home for me. We have been to their fall event in the past & I can say that it is very well attended so it should be good exposure for PAS if we can get several scopes there.

Bjohnson

Post by Bjohnson » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:47 am

Jeff,
Great! Glad to have you guys there!
Hope to have a few more step up.
Bill Johnson
PAS President, 2018-2019

Jwallis

Post by Jwallis » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:10 pm

The Wild Things is a very big event, the numbers reach around 5000. The grounds of the Southeast Louisiana National Wildlife Refuges Complex is well worth the trip. Get there early and take a canoe ride up the bayou or pontoon ride down the bayou.

Did they give you an idea of where the club is setting up this year?

Below is information about the complex.

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Big_Branch_M ... visit.html
BAYOU LACOMBE VISITOR CENTER AND GROUNDS
The Bayou Lacombe Visitor Center exhibits, bookstore, and gift shop are open Thursday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. The center features interactive exhibits that highlight the wildlife and habitat of eight national wildlife refuges in the region. Two miles of trails and walkways meander the grounds to viewpoints of Bayou Lacombe, through a historic botanical garden. Visit in late winter to see a spectacular show of flowering camellias and azaleas. These trails are open to the public Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., and Saturdays, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.