Running for Office for the PAS

Bsimon

Running for Office for the PAS

Post by Bsimon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:29 am

Boy, I never thought I would have to write a post like this but here goes -

For the first time in my 40 years as a member of the PAS we find ourselves in the position of having an officer's position go unwanted. As of our November meeting (at which time we typically close nominations) we have no one willing to run for the position of PAS Secretary. In years past for this office and other offices we have often had to actually hold an election.

In contacting various people who I thought would be able to fulfill the job of secretary I have heard various reasons for not running, typically "I do not have the time" or "I do not feel like I can do that job". I did talk to 5 or 6 people that I felt were well qualified to do the job well. Regarding the time commitment, as Nanette Johnson our current PAS Secretary said at the meeting, the time devoted to this position as both recording secretary and as one who actively participates in club officers' meetings is really not that much. In past years I and others held various offices at a time when we were all working and raising kids. I have been an officer on 13 separate occasions between the ages of 27 and 65 and from before when my 2 girls were even born thru both of their marriages and birth of their children, and I found the time including 9 terms as club President. The time is there.

Having said this I know that we cannot and should not force anyone to do something that they really do not want to do, but also having said this I will also say that the club survives because we have some members who are willing to step up to the plate and contribute their time and effort into making the PAS run. So what happens if in future years when both John Scholl who is PAS Treasurer and Kent Birkle who is PAS PAS Times Editor/Second Vice President decide (after better than 10 plus years each in their respective positions) that it is time to take a break? Will someone else from the ranks of the PAS step forward to do their jobs? If no one steps forward to do these jobs, or any of the other officer positions, the club no longer exists, it will just fade into memory. Do the 80 plus members of the PAS want that? I think not.

Barry Simon,
PAS Nominating Committee Chairman
Attachments
Uncle Sam.jpg
The PAS Needs You!

Bsimon

Re: Running for Office for the PAS

Post by Bsimon » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:16 am

UPDATE - We still have no one willing to help out the club by running for the position of Secretary. :cry:

Bsimon

Post by Bsimon » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:41 am

We have still not been contacted by anyone willing to serve as PAS Secretary for 2020. :(

Bsimon

Post by Bsimon » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:45 pm

118 years of service to the PAS. That is how many years 24 different current members have contributed to the club since the 1970's***.

Breaking it down on average each of these members have held one or more offices for an average of about 5 years. Some have held one or more positions for better than 10 years.

This club cannot survive unless each and every year we have people willing to step forward and take a turn at holding an elective office. Looking at it on a month to month or a week to week basis none of our 5 elected positions really take up too much time. More importantly this club cannot survive if we reach the point where no one is willing to do some work required to keep the club going. While some are willing to serve in an elected position year after year the general feeling among all the officers is that anyone capable of thinking coherently and driving themselves to the monthly meetings should be willing to volunteer at some point in time to help the club. No one should expect that those that are officers now or those that have been officers in the past will once again step forward and serve one more time just because no one else will do it.

So think about this and anyone who really cares about the club and wants to assure it's survival and success will step forward and help the club out.

Right now the office of Secretary is still in need of someone to fill it. The other 4 officers were automatically reelected at the November meeting when nominations closed and they had no opposition. Sources tell me that there will be at least two more vacancies at the end of 2020 so everyone should be thinking about their capability for holding an office now and for the future of the PAS.

Barry Simon, Nominating Committee Chairman

*** - we have no current PAS members who held any elective office any earlier than the mid-70's