Comet Neowise - Friday, July 10, 2020

Jhuerkamp

Comet Neowise - Friday, July 10, 2020

Post by Jhuerkamp » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:38 pm

Yesterday it looked like it would be good on Friday morning to observe the comet from a location about 35 minutes from home that overlooks marshland on the northshore of Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana. The site provides a 1 degree horizon to the northeast. The only issue would be mosquitoes. So I packed up my Honda generator, high velocity fan (as it was 82F at 3AM this morning), Evolution tripod and mount, WO Zenithatar 61, 0.75X RC Focal Reducer and DS10cTEC. I used a Celestron GPS module to provide date, time and location coordinates to the mount, aligned on Venus and went to Capella. 7 1/2 degrees below Capella was Menkahinan, another star in Auriga. From there, I slowly moved the mount down toward the horizon and picked up Neowise about 8 1/2 degrees below Menkahinan. I had the gain set to about 90 and the exposure to 1 second. I was at DS Level 1, and the comet was easily seen on my laptop screen through haze even though it was only about 2 1/2 degrees above the horizon at 4:38:27AM (see photo 7-43827). As the comet rose higher, I was able to increase the exposure to about 2 seconds, but the clouds started drifting in more heavily. I eventually shut down when Auriga and the area below it became totally shrouded with clouds. But it was definitely worth getting up to see. See the album I posted of the prep info and images captured by MCSky. I programmed MCSky to grab an image every 5 seconds and place it in a folder on the hard drive.

I tried attaching photos to this post, but all were too large. I will try resizing the PNGs converted to JPG so that they meet the file size limit.

Jack Huerkamp

Lmccormick

Re: Comet Neowise - Friday, July 10, 2020

Post by Lmccormick » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:27 am

It looks like the south shore lakefront might be the best location to view Comet Neowise. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good location? Maybe one without streetlights nearby?

Lowell McCormick

Cberthaut

Re: Comet Neowise - Friday, July 10, 2020

Post by Cberthaut » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:37 am

I tried going to the Breakwater Park in west end this morning about 5:15. The sky was clear but there was definitely some Hayes to the north. I could not seem to locate the comet with my naked eye with my to time but oculars or with my 12 by 50 binoculars. I gave up when the sky became too light to even pick up auriga. I'm hopeful in a week or so when it's in the Western sky that we might get a better show. Does anyone have a feel for what the comet should look like at that point regarding magnitude size etc? I'm seeing some beautiful pictures on Reddit of folks who seem to be at higher northern latitudes getting great shots at 4:30 or 5:30 in the morning.