Comet NEOWISE from my front yard

Bsimon

Comet NEOWISE from my front yard

Post by Bsimon » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:01 am

Well, the sidewalk in front of my front yard but that is close.

Going back a few days =

Saturday morning, 7/11 - am attempt in back yard. Somewhat hazy, and clouds moving in, so no luck.

Tuesday evening, 7/14 - at the New Orleans lakefront with John Martinez, Philip Wollenberg and Ralph and Sandra Junius. A large storm cloud complex to our northwest happened to be in exactly the wrong spot for us. Some nice lightning, but it blocked the comet, so once again - NO LUCK! :(

Thursday evening, 7/16 - higher in the sky. Clouds looked iffy so I checked out the view from the lot across the street from me. The neighbor in the house adjacent to the lot bought it a month or two ago. He will turn it into a play yard for the kids and he will be putting in a second driveway so he does not have to park his pickup on the grass. In planning for this he had the live oak tree removed that would have blocked my view of the comet. I was surprised to see that the azimuth direction of the comet suited this lot and my view perfectly. I did not see it pop into view until about 9 pm, but I could just barely make it out naked eye. Looked good thru 10x50 binoculars and even better in the photos. The wider angle photo was taken with approximately an 85 mm setting on the zoom lens. The larger image was taken using my trusty Olympus Zuiko 200 mm f/4 lens for which I have an adapter to use it with my Canon 60D dslr.

Barry Simon
Attachments
IMG_3448 (2) - Copy.JPG
IMG_3432 (2) - Copy.JPG

Lmccormick

Re: Comet NEOWISE from my front yard

Post by Lmccormick » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:19 am

Those look great. Tonight looks like a good night to try to see it from Shell Rd. in Manchac. What camera settings did you use and did you use a tripod or EQ mount?

Bsimon

Re: Comet NEOWISE from my front yard

Post by Bsimon » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:25 am

Tripod, exposures relatively short. Bounced the ISO between 400 and 1600. Took multiple shots from balanced exposure according to the camera to up to +2 to +3.

Damn. I wish I would have been at White Horse with it's low horizons. A view to the northwest looking over the barn would have been a great shot. The darker skies would have been a big plus.

Barry