Ready to move away from the rain?

Jbest

Ready to move away from the rain?

Post by Jbest » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:25 pm

If so, this sure would be tempting:

https://www.cloudynights.com/classified ... uthern-nm/

Since its raining and the moon is almost full again, please plan to join us at the next PAS meeting at 7:30 pm at UNO this Friday, 7/23/2021.
Jeff Best
PAS Secretary

Lmccormick

Re: Ready to move away from the rain?

Post by Lmccormick » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 am

I've driven past this property a few times when staying at New Mexico Skies. The views thru my telescope at New Mexico Skies were the best I've ever seen. Views of bright galaxies like M31, M33 & M51 were as good or better than B&W photos thru a 16" reflector. From New Mexico Skies you can see the telescopes at Sunspot, NM on the next mountain peak where the National Solar Telescope and the Sloan Digital Sky Survey telescope are located. They overlook the White Sands National Monument far below. I highly recommend that someone in the club buy this property. And then invite the rest of us to visit. ;)

Lowell

Jbest

Post by Jbest » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:59 pm

Lmccormick wrote:
> I've driven past this property a few times when staying at New Mexico
> Skies. The views thru my telescope at New Mexico Skies were the best I've
> ever seen. Views of bright galaxies like M31, M33 & M51 were as good
> or better than B&W photos thru a 16" reflector. From New Mexico
> Skies you can see the telescopes at Sunspot, NM on the next mountain peak
> where the National Solar Telescope and the Sloan Digital Sky Survey
> telescope are located. They overlook the White Sands National Monument far
> below. I highly recommend that someone in the club buy this property. And
> then invite the rest of us to visit. ;)
>
> Lowell

Good comment Lowell and I second that notion! Someone please buy it! We could have one heck of a star party for sure. I've got first dibs on the RV spot! :D

I'm not familiar with New Mexico Skies & their website isn't very clear on their mission. Do they rent observatory space?

Thanks!
Jeff Best
PAS Secretary

Lmccormick

Post by Lmccormick » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:54 pm

We rented a cottage one time and half of a duplex another. I brought my own equipment but telescopes were available for rent, including a 30" dob. They closed down that part of the business and now just rent time on their telescopes & cameras online. Everything is automated there. There are also private observatories on their site that are operated remotely and that equipment is maintained by the owners of New Mexico Skies. They have a similar facility in Siding Springs Australia that you can buy time and remotely operate the telescope/camera to shoot the images you wish. Their equipment is top of the line and well maintained.

Lowell