Hurricane Ida - Who stayed and who left?

Bsimon

Hurricane Ida - Who stayed and who left?

Post by Bsimon » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:51 am

We stayed, maybe not the best idea since the hurricane is a bit stronger than I thought it would be and the track is a bit closer. In any event we are committed now and no problems yet. My main concern is electricity loss. Not worried about flooding as we did not flood during Katrina and the city is much better prepared to deal with surge now.

Plenty of water (inside to use). Plenty of batteries including big 55 amp and 35 amp telescope batteries. Note too that your vehicle can be used as a portable generator on wheels. You do need an inverter and you cannot power that much but it does work for crucial things. I will post a link.

Here is the link: https://jalopnik.com/how-to-power-your- ... ar-5955850

Anyone else hunker down at home?

Barry Simon

Jbest

Re: Hurricane Ida - Who stayed and who left?

Post by Jbest » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:55 am

Hey Barry!

My wife and I along with our 2-dogs are hanging tough here in Lacombe. We usually leave but here we are. Our house is setup with a manual transfer switch and I have enough generator power to run all essentials less central air. I have a decent size window unit that will keep the downstairs bearable. Its sitting in my family room on the floor right now. Have used it before when on generator. We've been in our current home since 2010 & are the 2nd owner as it was built in 1987. Its never flooded and as you know we've had some pretty significant rain events in that time frame. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen this time either.

Hope you stay safe!
Jeff Best
PAS Secretary

Bjohnson

Post by Bjohnson » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:13 am

We evacuated to Jackson and am glad we did.
As of Monday morning, the aftermath seems to be no power at all in the city and suburbs. this looks to be a long term issue with main supply lines into the city all down. It's going to be a long time before all is up and running. Family is all safe and dry with A/C in a hotel, but would much prefer to have been on my way home about now.

But we will wait it out to see how things progress.

Hope all the rest of you are safe and well.
See you all soon.

Bill Johnson
Bill Johnson
PAS President, 2018-2020

Cberthaut

Post by Cberthaut » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:27 pm

If you're still here in NOLA, getting some nice dark skies with the whole city in the dark. Definitely a reason to look up. Hoping the weather over the next few days cooperates. Lower humidity could make for one heck of a star party on my backyard in Lakeview

Lmccormick

Post by Lmccormick » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:06 pm

We left Ponchatoula at 2:30pm Sunday in a squall and stopped in Jennings, La. because Lafayette was shut down on Sunday evening. Spent the night in the pickup truck parked in a Walmart parking lot and got back home Monday morning at 10:30am. Lots of trees down and tree damage for miles around. Somebody cut a path for one lane so we were able to get to our house. The water was shin deep in the front and knee deep in lower areas. No damage to the house. We got an inch or 2 of water in the garage but it's an all steel building so mostly the junk on the floor got wet. Telescopes, accessories, computers, important files and 11 cats went with us in the 2 trucks. I think Monday night's sky was the best but I didn't want to set up my tripod and stand in floodwater to shoot the Milky Way. It was cloudy until Saturday night so this is the shot I took then. Note the light dome from Ponchatoula. The first traffic light and a few street lights were turned on Saturday afternoon. We got electricity 8 days after the storm and telephone 2 days later. It could have been a lot worse. I'm glad I have a raised house.
Attachments
Milky Way afer Ida.JPG